For most areas of the domain of knowledge Education and Schooling there exists no technical terminology in the strict sense of the word. The domain is rather a comprehensive societal event, which involves very different parties: students, teachers, parents, politicians, researchers, scientists and didactics for the specific subjects, general pedagogues, psychologists, professional trainers, business representatives, etc. It is therefore no surprise that education and schooling are perceived in different ways by different groups and that their reality is furthermore constituted in different ways. Some technically and societally controversial issues in this domain, i.e. where differences in ideas on education exist in different areas such as science, economics and society, are labelled as follows and are both perceptually and conceptually interlinked:
- PISA (TIMMS, IGLU)
- Standard, competence, tasks
- Knowledge, (level of) expertise and education
- Competence in the field of orthography, reading, writing and communication
- Key qualifications, career relevance
- Percentage of migrates and foreigners
- Educational mission
- Violence(prevention), mediation
The domain Education and Schoolingon the one hand dedicates itself to the questions central to the network “Language and Knowledge”:
- How technical issues are put into language on different levels of discourse and in different language registers (pedagogical, juridical, political, colloquial, etc.)
- How specific objects are constituted through language
- What possibilities for mediation exist between the different constitutions of objects by discourse participants on the basis of linguistic analysis.
On the other hand, the domain deals with approaches to solutions for actual problems, which inter alia have arisen because of differences in the process of the constitution and labelling of objects. The research being done in this domain is therefore explicitly meant to be an applied form of discourse analysis, whose main aim is the practical side of aiding actual transformation and transfer of knowledge.
Differing constitutions of reality in the domain are to be linguistically described and to then be conjoined in the actual situations of the respective discourses. This merging highlights both agreements as well as fractures between the constitutions of reality of different parties. Becoming aware of this is an indispensable prerequisite for the solutions of problems. Linguistic levels of analysis of the domain of knowledge Education and Schooling are:
- Discourse, to be understood as a communicative basis of actions and knowledge, delimitable through historic time, topics and participants. The specific corpus is to be deducted ( e.g. Topic “PISA”, “violence in schools”, “educational politics”, “career relevance”)
- Speech action patterns (dialog and text varieties), e.g. educational plan, scientific publications, texts in print and online media, talk shows, class conversations, conversations with parents, etc. all with the respective intertextual transformation (e.g. starting with the definition of “Lesekompetenz” as “Reading Literacy” in PISA 2000 to the psycholinguistic definition of reading literacy in the sense of proposition forming according to Kintsch/van Dijk up to the definition of reading literacy in the classroom)
- Discourse topic specific vocabulary and usage, including their variety specific readings (juristic jargon, political ideological language, jargon of various scientific disciplines, educational political colloquialisms) as well as concepts that have become lexically fixed.
The analytic and explanatory aims of the domain of knowledge Education and Schooling are:
- Linguistic analysis and modelling of oral and written vocationally or professionally relevant forms of acting as well as professional jargons
- Comparison of actual professional demands and educational teaching and learning methods
- Didactic modelling of such forms of actions and professional jargon
- Development of educational and facilitative material
- Development of action-oriented test material